Q&A: INKBIRD WIFI product connection troubleshooting

First of all, please ensure that the INKBIRD WIFI product is placed within the 2.4GHz wifi signal range. Please keep the product as close as possible to the 2.4GHz wifi router.
(INKBIRD WIFI products do not support 5GHz wifi.)

Please note that the WIFI signal may be affected by obstacles such as doors/walls/windows.
Please make sure that the app is the latest version and the Bluetooth & location functions of your phone are turned on.

If you are using iphone, please note that the local network and wireless/cellular data of the app need to be enabled in the phone settings.

Router settings:
Wireless protocol: 802.11 b/g/n, but cannot be set to 11n only;
Security mode: WPA/WPA2
Authentication type: AES
☆ There is no limit to the number of connected devices on the router.
☆ Please make sure the WIFI name and password are not hidden. It can be checked in router settings.

:warning: One additional method for testing if it’s a router setup issue, but this requires the use of 2 mobile phones.

Please test:

1. Turn on the hotspot of phone A, it will work as a 2.4GHz wifi router. Phone A is placed next to the product.
  2. Phone B connects to the hotspot of phone A, and downloads the INKBIRD APP.
  3. Phone B connects to the product as instructed by the app.

If the product can connect to phone B in this test, it means its WIFI function is working. Please recheck the router settings.

Please use slow blink mode to connect, (When connecting, please put the Wifi product as close as possible to the router and mobile phone):

1. Turn the device WIFI indicator to slow flashing.
  2. The mobile phone is connected to the 2.4GHz wifi (Please make sure that the phone is not connected to the 5GHz wifi band), the 2.4GHz wifi router can successfully surf the Internet, and the location permission has been opened.
  3. Open the app, select the AP mode, enter the wifi name and password, the app will prompt to connect to smartlife-xxx. Do not click Confirm at this time.
  4. Please switch the page to the mobile phone wifi connection settings, after connecting to the smartlife-xxx hotspot, it will display “connected without internet”.
  5. Then please return to the app immediately, click confirm, and it will enter the connection mode.

If it still cannot be connected, please use a different phone to test.
Because some mobile phone settings will also affect the connection of the device, this can be used to troubleshoot whether the problem is caused by the phone settings.

☆ Please note that some models do not have WIFI slow blink mode.

☆If it is a device that was able to connect successfully but cannot connect now.
Please make sure that the connection distance, router and mobile phone settings have not been changed.
Please delete the historical offline device of the app, then re-pair according to the previous steps.

There are some official videos and customer videos on Youtube for reference, maybe it will be helpful: https://www.youtube.com/Inkbird-smart-homes/videos

1 Like

Hello
I finally got my controller set up , it would only connect using the AP mode ,which when said connect it showed an arrow beside smartxxxx so and when i went to internet connections i clicked on it and it told me to connect with no internet so i went ahead and i had to agree to connect to the smart xxxx everytime , so i did ,this made no difference to how i use my phone ,but at last the inkbird is now connected .
Kathleen Goodbourn

Hello,
Fast flash mode or AP (slow blink) mode are both connection methods, they just have different connection steps. If the device is in an environment with strong signal interference, we would recommend using the AP mode. After a successful connection, their functions are the same.

If configuring a Netgear router:

1. Launch a web browser from a computer or mobile device that is connected to your router’s network.

2. Enter Netgear website.
    A login window opens.

3. Enter your Netgear username and password.
    The BASIC Home page displays.

4. Select Wireless.
    The Wireless Settings page displays.

5. In the Wireless Network (2.4GHz b/g/n) area, enter a network name (SSID) for your 2.4GHz network.
    Please check the router settings:
    Wireless protocol: 802.11 b/g/n, cannot be set to 11n only;
    Saving setting.

Once the settings are complete, the new Wi-Fi name will appear on your phone’s Wi-Fi settings page.
Note: After changing the Wi-Fi settings, you will need to reconnect the device to the router.

Just a fast feedback, what helped me in this tutorial was to connect my phone to the 2.4 WIFI, what I was missing was to switch the mode to AP in the app (I didn’t see where the option was on android, it took me a while), because the fast blinking mode did not work at all for me.

After I did that, it worked like a charm!

2 Likes

@Theolodis How did you change to AP mode in the App? I dont see that option.

Hello,
Please understand that different product models have different connection methods. Some products do not have AP mode, please make sure the product you have purchased has AP mode. If it does not have AP mode, please just check the phone and router settings section.

Just to let you all know - if you have a Samsung phone, the Inkbird APP setup will go under SmartThings - you have to set the app permissions to Location, Notifications & Nearby devices otherwise it won’t connect the wifi setup.

1 Like

Hi, I lose connection to my inkbird 306 wifi because the distance is a bit too far, do you think a wifi extender will help?

I just received my unit and I had the same problem. The WiFi was only connected when I was close to the grill. If I moved to the house where the router is I’d receive a message saying the INKBIRD unit was offline. Ugh!

My model is “IIC-800-WIFI” and the first time I turned it on it managed to connect very quickly.

I spent about 3 months without using it, and I modified my network. I deleted the app from my phone and now I’m trying to add it again but to no avail.

I’m using a 2.4 wifi network.

1. Follow the normal addition process:
    2.Then confirm:
    3.Then: choose the wifi network:
    4.Then: enter the password for connection:
  2. Then: I wait for the connection:
  3. After: I always wait for 90s and the connection is not made:

What am I doing wrong?

I’ve already tried resetting the “IIC-800-WIFI” by pressing the power button for 5 seconds and redid the process, but it always gives the same message and I can’t connect

Hello,
Please check if your router settings comply with:
Wireless protocol: 802.11 b/g/n, but cannot be set to 11n only;
Please check if there is an offline IIC-800-WIFI in INKBIRD APP? If yes, please delete it and use slow flash mode to connect. Will it work?