IBT-26S Remote Monitoring away from home WiFi

I have successfully connected the IBT-26S to my home WiFi and can monitor it with the Inkbird app on my iPhone when connected to the same WiFi network. It appears to connect to the server as well so other members of the household can also see temperatures when connected to the same WiFi network.

Can one monitor temperatures even when connected to a different WiFi network or using cellular data?

1 Like

Hello,
As long as the IBT-26S remains connected to the home WIFI, the data can be viewed through a different WIFI network or cellular data.

I may be doing this incorrectly but am unable to monitor when connected to a different network. Is there a detailed set of instructions on how to accomplish this?

Please ensure that the IBT-26S is connected to your home WIFI and that the WIFI can access the internet.
If the IBT-26S is connected to WIFI, please place the IBT-26S next to the router and the phone uses cellular data, will the WIFI connection of the IBT-26S be disconnected?
If yes, could you please email support@inkbird.com with order information, phone model, and a video of this problem?

Dear Tania,

I verified that the WiFi connection is strong and reliable.

Does the remote monitoring work only for the home owner or is it also supposed to work for another home member set up as administrator?

Kabir Mahadeva

The remote function is available for home owner and home members.

I am having this exact issue. What is the fix? The ibt26s is successfully paired with my wifi with the wifi icon always visible and not flashing. As soon as i go out of Bluetooth range (or switch Bluetooth off) the device is shown as offline in the app. No point sending a video as it will simply show exactly what I’ve described above. Is my device faulty or can somethinng be changed in settings?

Hello,
Maybe you could put the IBT-26S next to the router and test it?
Because if the WIFI signal is unstable, it may use Bluetooth to assist with network distribution. Therefore, when the Bluetooth connection is disconnected, it cannot maintain a stable connection with the network and causes this situation.

I tested this with the ibt-26s and my phone less than 6 inches from my router before I posted my original message. Additionally, my wifi is very stable with a very strong signal in my garden where i would typically use the ibt-26s. From your response, and given my wifi is definitely not the issue, it seems like the device is faulty!

@Tania - can you provide any further assistance?

May I know if the IBT-26S is placed on a metal table? If tested in a different location, would it also disconnect at 6 inches from the router?
If it still has problems, please email support@inkbird.com with order information and the link to this post.

Exact same issue here, could you post the solution?

Alas, I could not get it to work remotely. I don’t know if it is due to firewalls on my network or something else, but I only can detect the device if within bluetooth range or connected to the same network.

Maybe you can use this method for testing, but it requires the use of 2 mobile phones:

1. Turn on the hotspot of phone A, it will work as a 2.4GHz wifi router.
  2. Phone A is placed next to the product.
  3. Phone B connects to the hotspot of phone A, and downloads the INKBIRD APP.
  4. Phone B connects to the product as instructed by the app.

Once the connection is complete, please use Phone B to view the data.
During this test, the distance between phone A and the device gradually increases. Please use phone B to check whether the device will maintain the connection?
This can help us to check the wifi stability and transmission distance of IBT-26S.

This is an issue with this unit.
I also cannot connect to the app when away from home/home wifi
It was bought so that I could check my pond temperature at ALL TIMES but it does not allow me to do so.
The unit works ok at home as long as I am within the bluetooth reach.
Its a shame really as it is a good model … it just doesn’t work all the time

May I know if you have tried the hotspot testing method I mentioned earlier? If phone A, which is used as a router, extends the distance, will the IBT-26S disconnect within a short distance?

Hi

I have no idea what you are asking me to do?? Hotspot ?? Please explain as simply as you can

I have the two apps on my phone.

1. ENGBIRD : this works but everytime I do something else with my phone the app has to re-connect which is a bit annoying
  2. INKBIRD : this doesn’t seem able to connect to the thermometer and I have no idea how to get it to work as there is no manual or instructions

David

Hello,
Please note that IBT-26S does not support connecting to Engbird app, it supports INKBIRD app.
If it’s a device using the Engbird app, please note that it only supports Bluetooth connectivity, it doesn’t have remote WIFI connectivity.
For 2 mobile phones hotspot testing methods (WIFI product), please refer to:

1. Turn on the hotspot of phone A, it will work as a 2.4GHz wifi router.
  2. Phone A is placed next to the product.
  3. Phone B connects to the hotspot of phone A, and downloads the INKBIRD APP.
  4. Phone B connects to the product as instructed by the app.

Once the connection is complete, please use Phone B to view the data.
During this test, the distance between phone A and the device gradually increases. Please use phone B to check whether the device will maintain the connection?

Hi

I have no idea what it is you want me to do ?? I have read the message twice and am at a total loss…sorry.

Hotspot ?? 2 phones ?? I have one phone and that’s it…it works with every other app I have ever downloaded and that includes the ENGBIRD one.

Re the INKBIRD app ( the one that has the blue and green logo ). When I open the app I get what I have sent you as attachment 1. I can then click the + sign ( top right ) which asks me to ADD DEVICE

SO WHAT DO I DO NOW ?? PLEASE GIVE ME STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS.

I do want it to work but I cannot get the thermometer and the INKBIRD app to work together.

There is still the issue with ENGBIRD not working when I am away from home…yet all my other apps do as long as I have a wifi signal.

David

Could you please provide your product model?
From your description, your product can be connected to the Engbird app, but the Engbird app only supports Bluetooth products, they cannot implement remote viewing functions.
If it is a Bluetooth product, the above WIFI test method is not applicable.