IBBQ-4T graph data away from home network missing

I am using an Inkbird IBBQ-4T to capture cooling system temperature data from 3 of my electric vehicle’s battery cooling system hoses. It seems to capture - and I can download in csv format - data collected (on my iPhone 14) whilst the vehicle is in range of my home network (i.e. while in the garage), but once I move away from home, on a journey, it fails to capture the data. This is the data I really want.

My iPhone works alright as a phone when away from home; however, I suspect that there’s a setting (or settings) which is/are preventing the IBBQ-4T data from being collected by the phone away from our home network. Should I see IBBQ-4T as a Wi-Fi network on my phone (I don’t)?

I hope someone can suggest a remedy!

Hello,
Do you mean that the IBBQ-4T is placed in the car and it connects to the 2.4GHz wifi in the garage?
Please note that the IBBQ-4T can only be connected to the 2.4GHz wifi it is paired with.
The IBBQ-4T will upload the data to a cloud via wifi, the cloud is connected to the app, then you can use the mobile network to see the temperature via app.
So it is: IBBQ-4T (connect to home 2.4GHz wifi) → app (cloud) ← phone (wifi/ mobile network).
Maybe you could use two mobile phones to achieve this requirement.
Phone A acts as a router to transmit 2.4Ghz wifi hot spot (Internet access), Phone B is used to connect the 2.4Ghz wifi hot spot and IBBQ-4T. Under this condition, phone A needs to be placed near the IBBQ-4T and keep the hotspot turned on.

Thank you for your response, Tania.

Today, I did the following:

• I removed and reinstalled the InkBird Pro App on my iPhone 14
  • At home, my iPhone 14 is paired with my home Wi-Fi network- I turned the IBBQ-4T OFF (then ON again).
  • I attempted to reinstall my IBBQ-4T device on the InkBird Pro App.
  • Before doing so, I reset my home Wi-Fi network to 2.4GHz and WPA / WPA2 encryption
  • (It is normally set as 2.4 and 5 GHz and WPA2 encryption.)
  • My router, phone and IBBQ-4T were then all placed alongside each other.- I firstly attempted to pair the IBBQ-4T using the fast flash pairing method, but the Wi-Fi icon soon stopped flashing and of course it didn’t pair.
  • I then tried the slow flash, which, as I recall, was the method which I used to successfully pair the IBBQ-4T and my iPhone 14 previously.
  • I have tried that method several times today, without success.
  • One aspect of the slow flash process which I don’t believe I have done properly is the step set out on page 6 of the “How can I connect the IBBQ-4T with my phone?” (the leaflet):
  • “Connect your phone to your device’s Wi-Fi hotspot
  • Connect to the Wi-Fi hotspot “smartlife XXXX” in mobile WLAN settings
  • Return to the Inkbird Pro app, click “Confirm” to start searching for devices.- My phone does not have a WLAN page like the one shown in the leaflet; however, I did see smartlife XXXX in the Wi-Fi page of my phone and I was asked for a password, but I wasn’t sure what was the correct password.
  • I did not complete this step when I (successfully) paired the IBBQ-4T and my iPhone 14 previously.

When I travel in the car, I always have my mobile phone with me, so the App should be in range with the IBBQ-4T; however, when I am away from my home (where the garage is located) I note that the App shows “Offline”.

Do you think this (Offline) could be due to the fact that I haven’t properly completed the step on page 6 of the leaflet. I have also not had my Personal Hotspot turned on.

I hope this information might enable you to guide me further to obtain the results I desire from my IBBQ-4T.

Please let me know if you require anything else.

Thank you again for your assistance.

Regards,

Chris

Tania,

I am at last able to gather data from the IBBQ-4T device installed in my car! A family member has loaned me her Telstra 4GX Hotspot device, which I have paired with the IBBQ-4T device enabling me to download csv files from my IBBQ-4T – via my mobile phone – to my computer.

I can then compile the data I wish to work with using Microsoft Excel, which was my objective.

Thank you for your assistance.

Regards,

Chris

1 Like