Please help, cant get heat correct for tortoise

Hi
I have just bought a ICT306T to control the heat in my tortoises enclosure after reading it is a good choice.

The heat is generated by an arcardia ceramic heat emitter and its been in a stat for 2 years which worked ok until recently when temps had dropped a bit, so i replaced the heat holder, bulb and stat

I an not getting any sleep as the required temps are not being met and last night i had to sleep on the hall floor as got up at 3am to find it had dropped 3 degrees and was cool inside so had to just plug the heat straight into he socket and keep an eye on it.
I need it to maintain a constant temperature of 27.5. Sometimes it will do this, then it will just drop to 24 or 25 which is dangerous.
Weve used this theory, but set the diff value to 0.1 and the set temp to 27.5

If you only need to control a same temperature range the whole day.
For example, you need to keep the temperature within 22°C~25°C, then set the controller as follow:

TS1=25, DS1=3, CA=0, CF=C, TR=0

With this setting, when the PV actual temperature is lower than TS1-DS1=25-3=22C, the work light will turn on and your heaters will start outputting, and it will stop when the temperature reaches to 25°C (TS1/SV);

can anyone please shed any light so I can get some sleep!! lol

Thanks

Hello,
Do you mean when the temperature reached/ lower than TS1-DS1 (22C), the heating indicator of ITC-306T is on, but the ITC-306T will not turn on the heating outlet?
Is the temperature reading by the ITC-306T correct?
Could you please let me know the voltage and watt of the heater?
If you plug the heater into the wall socket without ITC-306T, it can heat to 25C?

Dont quite understand what you mean as I dont want it heating to 25C I want it to 27.5 as stated in my post

So, I set the TS1 to 27.5
DS1 is 0.1 ( because I want a constant temp of 27.5)

It will occasionallly go to 27.5 but most of the time just sits around 2 5 to 26 degrees.
The heater is a CHE holder 220 to 240V with a max bulb use of 250W and the CHE bulb is 100W

Yes, if I unplug the heater from the stat it will heat up and keep the enclosure at a higher heat, but I dont want it getting too hot, which is why I use a stat

A much cheaper thermostat kept it at 27.5 prior to this!

Just to confirm, both sockets of the ITC-306T have this problem?
Please test:

1. Unplug the controller.
  2. Press and hold the ‘SET’ button until power on
  3. Plug the controller, then release the ‘Set’ button
  4. Within 2 seconds, press the ‘up’ button, please do not press the ‘down’ button. The heating outlets will be turned on, work 1 indicator light on, is the heater on?

This is a test mode, it can check if there is a problem with the outlets.

I’m not saying the heater doesn’t come on. It does.
I’m saying it’s not getting to the set temp and staying there.
It goes up and down.
It’s set at 27.5 , will occasionally reach 27 but generally fluctuates between 23 and 26.
This isn’t good as temp should be constant.
Yes I’ve tried both sockets. Should one be used over the other??
I have 2 of these controllers, both new and both seem to do the same thing

| Tania Moderator
April 25 |

• | - |

Just to confirm, both sockets of the ITC-306T have this problem?
Please test:

1. Unplug the controller.
  2. Press and hold the ‘SET’ button until power on
  3. Plug the controller, then release the ‘Set’ button
  4. Within 2 seconds, press the ‘up’ button, please do not press the ‘down’ button. The heating outlets will be turned on, work 1 indicator light on, is the heater on?

This is a test mode, it can check if there is a problem with the outlets.

If both controllers are in the same condition, the probability of a problem with the outputs is relatively small.
Perhaps you could check that the probe is reading correctly? Would the situation improve if it was tested in a different location? If it is placed in a place where the temperature changes slowly, it may cause this problem.
Also, the DS1 minimum setting is 0.3C. Please check if your settings are TS1=27.5, DS1=0.3, CA=0, CF=C, TR=0?

Hi
The ds2 is 0.1 on both. Not sure why you think 0.3 is lowest??
What do you mean about the probe. I’ve put it in the exact same place Ive had one for the past 2 yrs, the front of the enclosure

I thought it’d settled down as it was fairly consistent holding at between 25. And 26.9 ( even though really I want it at 27.5)
Some days it had reached 28.0 before switching off.
Now it is far lower.
But at 12 midnight last night it was showing 24.4. I went to bed hoping it would move but got up at 3 am and it still said 24.4 and it felt a tad cool inside when I checked.
The one in the right hand corner, of by comparison was showing 25!!! And that’s away from the heat source. It’s set at 24 so it will come in if the temp drops on the right hand corner but was showing as being warmer than in front of the heater!
It’s bizarre. I cannot understand why it doesn’t just take the heat to 27.5 then switch it off.
I am meant to be going on holiday soon and am worried it’s going to be too cold for him
If I turn ds1 up higher it could go to the maximum and be too hot

Really expected more from this brand

Sorry I mean the ds1 is at 1.0
And if I turn the ts1 up higher it could get too hot if it does go to the maximum

Hi
The ds2 is 0.1 on both. Not sure why you think 0.3 is lowest??
What do you mean about the probe. I’ve put it in the exact same place Ive had one for the past 2 yrs, the front of the enclosure

I thought it’d settled down as it was fairly consistent holding at between 25. And 26.9 ( even though really I want it at 27.5)
Some days it had reached 28.0 before switching off.
Now it is far lower.
But at 12 midnight last night it was showing 24.4. I went to bed hoping it would move but got up at 3 am and it still said 24.4 and it felt a tad cool inside when I checked.
The one in the right hand corner, of by comparison was showing 25!!! And that’s away from the heat source. It’s set at 24 so it will come in if the temp drops on the right hand corner but was showing as being warmer than in front of the heater!
It’s bizarre. I cannot understand why it doesn’t just take the heat to 27.5 then switch it off.
I am meant to be going on holiday soon and am worried it’s going to be too cold for him
If I turn ds1 up higher it could go to the maximum and be too hot

Really expected more from this brand

The minimum setting of DS1 and DS2 is 0.3C, please check the manual of ITC-306T.

DS2 will only appear when TR=1. Have you set TR=1?
The larger the value of DS1/DS2, the lower the heating on value will be. It will not affect the heating off temperature. TS1/ TS2 is the heating off value.
When the temperature is 24.4C, is the work1 indicator of ITC-306T on?
If tested with another heater, does it switch on and off correctly?
Besides, please clean the probe and cable, then use a hairdryer to dry the probe for a while, then test the probe in the air temperature, can it read correctly?
Please understand that we need to determine if this is an ITC-306T setup/ wrong probe reading/ outputs/ heater problem.

Hi there ive bought 2 itc 306a wifi tempreture cintrollers ive bought them to control the tempretures in my python vivarium i have placed one sensor in one half of the vivarium and the other sensor in the other half of the vivarium i wanted it control the the temp in hot side to 32c and in the cold end monitir the temp didnt exceed 24c im currenly using a heat mat and a sepeate ciramic heater lamp to heat the tempretures in the hot side to 32c and have nothing controlling temperature in cold side i keep getting this e4 error which i believe is due to temperature difference between the two probes can this device be used to control the temperatures in two seperate areas in one tank if so how come i keep gettin this e4 error all time or does it only controll one area and the probes have to be installed side by side in same area not in seperate halfs of the vivarium if anyone can help please email garethkwalker4183@gmail.com any help will be greatfully recieved im based in uk so only understand english thanks guys

Im having similar issue i bought 2 to control the temp in my python tanks having problems getting it to heat my vivarium to 32c in the hotside despite me using A exo terra heat matt and cermaic heater can these be used to control temps in for both the hot and cold side of the vivarium