What challenges do you have when you do homebrewing in winter?

Many homebrewers prefer to home brew in cold weather because it tends to be easier to keep beers within proper fermentation temperature range. Historically, the only way to brew lagers was to brew in the winter and store the beer in caves while it conditioned.

While in some ways home brewing in cold weather is preferred over brewing in the summer, it still offers its own challenges – but also some opportunities to try some different beer styles.

The challenges that we need to take for homebrewing in cold walther:

Challenge #1: Proper fermentation temperature

Hot or cold, proper fermentation temperature is always important. Determining the appropriate fermentation temperature begins with yeast selection. Lager yeasts by nature do better at 45°-60°F., so if you have a cellar that stays cool in the winter, this may be the best time for homebrewers to try making a lager. If brewing an ale, Wyeast 1007: German Ale, Wyeast 2565: Kolsch, and Wyeast 1028: London Ale all work as low as 55°-60°F.

Challenge #2: Maintain steady temperature

Controlling fermentation temperature is always important. Only in the winter you run the risk of beer yeast going dormant if the temperature drops too low. Try to find an area of the home for your fermenters that won’t be too sensitive to big swings in outdoor temperature. A dedicated homebrewing temperature controller may be necessary in some cases.

Based on my practical experience, when we do homebrewing in winter, we need to have some dedicated homebrewing temperature controllers, while my favortire temperature controller for my homebrewing is INKBIRD ITC-308-WIFI, maybe you can try it for your next homebrewing.