Inkbird ITC-308 settings for refrigerator beer fermentation chamber

Hi all. I don’t have a clear understanding of the relationship between the Inkbird ITC-308 and the temperature ranges listed on my Vissani refrigerator/freezer in order to create a controllable beer fermentation chamber. The refrigerator’s range is 33 to 45 degrees F. (I’d like to get as high as 74; the low would be perfect for cold crashing.) As I understand it, the 308 can’t override the refrigerator’s thermostat, and I’d need to add a small heater, plugged into the Inkbird, to raise the temp beyond 45. Also assuming that the freezer, with a range of -8 degrees F to +5 degrees F, couldn’t be overridden either, essentially taking it out of play. Am I correct? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Hello,
Yes, the ITC-308 is an on/off controller and it cannot override the refrigerator’s thermostat. If the refrigerator/freezer can only go as low as 33F, the ITC-308 will not be able to control it to go to 5F.
If the ambient temperature cannot warm the refrigerator to 74F after it is turned off, it will need a heater.
For example, you want to maintain 40°F, temperature range is 33°F ~45°F. Please set TS=40, HD (heating difference value)=7, CD (cooling difference value)=5. When the temperature reaches/ below 33°F (TS-HD), it will turn on the heater, turn off at 40°F. When the temperature reaches/ above 45°F (TS+CD), it will turn on the cooler, turn off at 40°F.

Tania: Exactly the detail I’d hoped for. Thank you very, very much!

1 Like