When I was looking through Tiktok, a traditional Chinese snack caught my eye, not sure if it was a snack but it seems to be. I know it’s the start of the rabbit of the year now, the Chinese are celebrating the holidays. So I went to Chinatown in my place to see if I can get one of that, fortunately got one as my wish. Love the sugar flavor and the crisp sound.
It looks quite simple to make and easy for self-making. but I cannot find the original fruit Hulu in my place, the recipe says that other fruit will be ok as well. Then I went with the strawberries which are my always one-pick.
What we need to prepare: strawberries, rock candy, bamboo sticks
How to make it:
- Soak the strawberries in light salt water for 10 minutes, remove the stems and wash them.
- Skewer the processed strawberries with bamboo skewers.
- String well to control dry moisture.
- Put rock sugar on the fire
- Add boiling water, stirring constantly until the rock sugar is completely melted
- Reduce heat to a simmer, being careful not to stir the syrup any further
- Check the temperature of syrup with an instant-read thermometer, it can be done at about 150℃
- syrup boiled until lightly browned
- After the syrup is boiled, quickly put the fruit skewers into the pot
- Cool syrup-coated fruit skewers on a moistened surface